The mission of the Center for the Study of Itch and Sensory Disorders (CSISD) is to increase our understanding of the fundamental underlying mechanisms of itch and translate these findings into treatments for patients suffering from chronic itch. Specifically, we aim to:
- Expand itch biology research in a multidisciplinary fashion to advance our understanding of the interactions between the skin, immune system and nerves.
- Foster fruitful scientific interactions between basic researchers and clinicians with common interests in itch.
- Accelerate translational and clinical studies in itch to provide new and effective treatments for patients.
The Center is composed of two major academic programs:
Basic & translational research & behavioral core
The basic research program has two goals:
- Elucidate fundamental mechanisms underlying itch and potential therapeutic targets.
- Develop novel treatments for itch.
Patient care, clinical studies & clinical trials
Currently, our clinical/patient care program is under construction. Please check back for updates.